A Productive Day – Daily Routine for Working Parents

Weekdays can get very hectic with little ones especially if both parents work. There’s usually only 1 hour in the mornings and 2-3 hours in the evenings when the kids are home. A lot has to happen in that time!

Last tuesday was one of those very productive days where we hit the ground running in the morning and didn’t stop until past the kids’ bedtime. What exactly did we accomplish and how? I am still surprised by that day’s achievements. It’s like it was the perfect day except for the cold weather outside.

The day had a potentially troublesome start when I woke up 15 minutes before my carpool was scheduled to leave. Mr. Mama later joked that all he heard (as he continued to lay in our comfy bed) was me jump out of bed, run to the window, yank on the blinds to look outside and make an exclamation… er… comment about the time. Next he heard somebody (me) frantically running around the room gathering a pile of clothes and running into the bathroom. A few minutes later he heard somebody (me again) emerge from there, run down the stairs, and out the door.

Obviously, he exaggerates a little. I wasn’t running around the room looking for something to wear. I totally had my outfit pre-hung from the night before for mornings such as this. And I ran quietly down the stairs as I am always careful about not waking up Mister and Missy before leaving the house (otherwise, well, I wouldn’t be able to leave the house!) I also managed to prepare breakfast for the kids. That involved placing an avocado on the kitchen counter before running out said door.

Once reunited with my carpool buddies, the day was back on track. Fast forward to my return home and I have a precious 45 minutes of free time before going to pick up the kids from daycare. I won’t lie. The only thing I want to do in that time is head straight to my bed and nap for 20, maybe 30 minutes. Today, however, I decided to get a head start on the next day.

I decided to boil some eggs for breakfast the next day. While waiting for the water to boil, I soaked some rice for tonight’s dinner. While waiting for the rice to soak I chopped up some veggies (carrots and zucchini) praying the kids would take an interest in it. Then the eggs went in the water, the rice in the cooker, and I went upstairs to change.

Before leaving the house, the eggs were done and left covered on the stove while I went to pick up the kids. It was Bookmobile day (library on wheels) and I try to take the kids there on occasion. It was nearly 5 p.m. by the time I reached daycare, which meant not much time to catch the Bookmobile. My promises of Bookmobile is what got the kids into the car quickly. Once buckled in, Missy dropped her water bottle and started screaming. She has been on a no-nap streak at daycare over the last few weeks, which means she is toast by dinnertime.

Thinking the Bookmobile would be a diversion,  I drove by it and asked them if they wanted to go. In true sibling rivalry form, Missy said she wanted to go home while Mister said he wanted to go to Bookmobile. Knowing Missy’s nap situation, I opted to go home, promising to come back next week.

Back at home, Missy went straight to their dinner table and started eating the zucchini (yes!) while Mister went to play with Potato Head. Mr. Mama came home soon after. The good news is, both M&M ended up eating the raw veggies (seasoned with salt and pepper) which was a total surprise… and perhaps a good strategy to offer it before anything else! Missy ate the rice while Mister ate the bbq chicken which I defrosted the night before. Oh and chocolate milky of course!

After dinner, Missy needed another diversion, so I called her over to “help” me peel the boiled eggs. She happily smacked each egg against the kitchen counter and peeled it into the sink. I say into because half of it fell into the sink! After one or two she got the hang of it!

Once Mister finished eating, he came over to take a ‘crack’ at it. There was one egg left and he carefully was able to peel the thin shell off. Next thing you know, half of it is gone… into his mouth! One of the perks of helping Mama in the kitchen J

With tomorrow’s breakfast out of the way, and dinner finished, Mr. Mama and I started the clean up while M&M played nearby with the magnetic drawing boards. Then Mr. Mama took both upstairs for their bath while I snuck out to make a quick grocery trip for some much needed supplies for the next night’s dinner. Tomorrow’s going to be a very cold day so we are planning to have soup served with brushcetta. This meant we needed a baguette and tomatoes at the least. It was now 6:30 p.m. and my aim was to return by 7:00 p.m.

After getting the produce and even gassing up the car, I came back to hear M&M playing with their trains upstairs. Missy discovered her new fleece sheet set and proceeded to open the package, lay it down on the carpet and snuggled into it. Somebody was ready to sleep, but there were still mounds of folded laundry to put away! Once that was done, there was the usual fight over who wants to sleep with Mama (both). Once that was sorted out, both critters were in bed by 7:45 p.m.

Once M&M were asleep, that is the perfect time for me to hop in the shower which saves precious time in the mornings.

The fun didn’t stop there. Being the overachievers we are, Mr. Mama proceeded to work on cleaning the basement (we are planning to make it into a playroom for the kids over the winter) while I prepared part of tomorrow’s meal. For the soup, I took out some of our homemade soup stock from the freezer and added it to some sautéed leek and potato which I had just purchased from the grocery store.

Then Mr. Mama came back up to chop up the brushcetta mix and we finally allowed ourselves to plop on the couch and watch TV.

Then, close to midnight, I found myself sitting here typing about our productive day, with the hopes that everything we accomplished means we are ahead for the rest of the week. Really hoping for a relaxing, UNproductive week!


About the author

Ambereen is mom to two cute twins Mister and Missy, now with a third baby on the way! She’s Canadian eh, and lives in Canada’s capital with her husband, Mr. Mama. Between travelling and a busy social life, she works full-time in the public sector in IT policy. She enjoys writing short stories interjected with subtle humour about life adventures, sharing recipes, and coming up with fun yet simple activities to do with the kids. After a short hiatus where life got in the way of writing, she is back blogging at 2Cute – Adventures in Twin Parenting. She is looking forward to sharing her experiences here about life with twins + 1. And yes, it’s only one this time!

Leave a Reply